Wednesday 19 June 2013

Know your lippies



There is no doubt that there are more lip products nowadays than there would've been during our mum's or grandmother's time. With so many 'lippies' to choose from, what's the difference between each one?

Lipstick

- Highly pigmented and provides rich colour which gives an opaque finish
- Mostly wax-based which moisturizes lips 
- BUT could make lips dry so frequent application can make lips crack
- Has good staying power
- Best for bold statements

Types
- Matte: Provides long lasting colour but can make lips dry
- Creamy: Comes in really true colours but are great for those with dry lips
- Frosted: shimmery colour lipsticks and works well if you want a fuller lip
- Others: Sheer; Sparkly; Satin: Frost


Lipgloss

- Comes in a tube or pot packaging
- Make lips shiny; moist and less dry
- Makes lips look fuller
- Can be scented
- Is slippery and lighter so it comes off quicker than lipstick
- Can be messy due to the sticky texture

Types
- Sheer: Provide hint of colour and lots of shine
- Sparkling: Glitter or shimmer infused
- Shiny: Give lots of shine
- Creamy: Gives more colour and creamier feel



Lip tar

- Hybrid between lip stick and lip gloss with longer staying power (almost like matte lipstick that goes on as smooth as gloss)
- Colours can be mixed to create even MORE shades
- Have more 'out of the world' colours: blue, white, yellow, green, black


Lip butter

- Waxed based
- More emollient due to the addition of essential oils which moisturizes lips
- Less pigmented and thus, have a shorter staying power than lipstick
- Wetter and creamier than lipstick
- Medium to heavy coverage



Lip stain/tint

- Usually in liquid/gel/marker form
- Has a base of water and alcohol
- Contains alcohol which dries quickly so it's advised to work fast with it as it won't budge after
- Good for long wearing natural colour
- High concentration of pigment which means longer staying power
- Sheer to medium coverage
- Tend to be drying so it's wise to wear a layer of lip balm on top
- Some can also be used as cheek stain


Lip balm

- Contains ingredients to soothe, heal, moisturize and protect lips
- Most contains SPF
- Most contain no colour, but some nowadays could have a slight shimmer or tint
- Usually scented


Lip scrub

- Exfoliating product designed to remove dead skin cells from lip area that tend to dull the natural glow
- Leaves a smoother base for other lip products
- Can be made out of plastic grains; natural grains (fruit seeds or sugar)
- Some sugar lip scrubs are completely edible

Don't the flavours sound absolutely delicious?!
Lip liner/pencil

- Used under lipstick or gloss to prevent it from leaking off lips
- Enables other lip products to stay on longer



What a lot of products JUST for your lips! Like everything, there are different kinds of lip products that suit different people for different occasions. 

I always use lip balm frequently because chapped lips is never pretty! I prefer lip stain/tint on a daily basis for natural wear and lip stick when I want a more dramatic look (:

What's your lippie preference? (:

post signature

Follow me on: Bloglovin' // Twitter // Polyvore //Google Friend Connect

13 comments:

  1. I love your blog! :-) I'm following on Bloglovin because GFC isn't going to be available after 1st July
    - x Cerys x -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, thank you so much! Followed back <3 (: x

      Delete
  2. Such an adorable blog, Yuen! Love the design & the way to present products.
    This is a really cool post on the lippies btw. :)

    Oh and thanks for linking up with us in the Friendly Bunch Blog Hop (thats how i found you), enjoy the hop and come back next week for more exciting blogs.

    XoXo, Luchessa.
    Luchessa.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I did enjoy it & I'll definitely be back each week to discover more blogs! (: xx

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to be more of a lipstick girl- but honestly, am more of a lip gloss one :) Here from the weekend wanderings link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preferences always changes! (: I use to love lip gloss and thought lipstick was just for mums (I was young then :P), but now, I prefer lip stick for it's more opaque finish (:

      Delete
  4. Lots of good ones here. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for the Baby Lips. Visiting today from the Raising Imperfection hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I am co-hosting this week on the Raising Imperfetion Sunday Link Party. Thanks for sharing your creations with us! I hope you found inspiration in all of the terrific posts.

    I host a (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop and a TGIF Link Party at my place -- A Peek Into My Paradise... http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to link up and follow if you like what you see. =) I follow back - I love making new friends!

    I can't wait to see what you link up next week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will give the blog hops a go!

      Followed on Bloglovin'! (: x

      Delete
  6. What a comprehensive list of lip products. I love it as I am not big into make up so it is a lot of good information.

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ... this is amazing! Thank you for sharing. I am a lip gloss girl myself and so is my two year old! She loves her "lips!"

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I found you on Amy's Friday Link Up!! Love your style and your darling blog. You have a new follower!!!

    www.McKennaBleu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much(:
      I love YOUR style! And the photography is excellent! Followed back (:
      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for stumbling on to my little slice of the Internet + for taking the time to comment! I try to reply back to all of them.Have a great day (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10